When installing solar panels for the first time I purchased pre-assembled Solar PV cable with MC4 connectors. Not knowing exactly how much length I would need, I frequently ended up with cables that were either too short or too long.
Eventually, I started assembling my own MC4 cables cut to exactly the lengths I needed. I wish I had been assembling my own cable from the beginning. I realized how easy it was to create my own MC4 solar cables and now I want to tell you how you can do it.
Tools and Materials You Will Need
To assemble your own MC4 solar cables you will need:
- Solar Cable
- MC4 Connectors (pack of 5)
- MC4 Crimping Tool
- MC4 Connector Assembly Tool (not required but handy to have)
- Measure and cut the cable to the necessary length
- Strip roughly ½ inch of shielding from the ends of the cable
- Place the open end of the metallic conductor of the MC4 connector in the crimper
- Insert one end of the cable into the connector and squeeze the crimper all the way
- Disassemble the MC4 connector and slide the weather sealed end over the crimped end
- Slide the remaining piece of the connector over the conductor until it snaps into place
- Slide the weather sealed end up and screw it to the other end using an MC4 assembly tool if needed
- Repeat the same process for the other end of the cable